Sunday, December 13, 2009

Lip Balm with Shea butter and Cocoa Butter


Making lip balm, originally uploaded by Auggy D'Auggy.

I spent the afternoon making Lip Balm! I ordered the lip balm kit from http://www.pvsoap.com and made their lip balm recipe.

I did a little research both on their site and around the web and found some pointers. The main thing I did was melt the shea butter first in a (homemade) double boiler. I mounted a food thermometer to the side of the bowl so I could watch the temperature. I simmered the shea butter between 140-160 for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I added the beeswax first, then the cocoa butter. I let them melt fully before adding in the next ingredient. Finally I let my oils simmer for about 10 minutes (not exceeding 175 deg) to ensure they were well incorporated.

When everything was done, I turned off the heat but let the bowl stay in the warm water to keep the lip balm soft.

My lip balm has a smooth and firm texture. It goes on smoothly and isn't greasy. It smells so good from the shea butter and cocoa butter, there really wasn't any need for flavor oils.


Pots of lip balm, originally uploaded by Auggy D'Auggy.


Tubes of lip balm, originally uploaded by Auggy D'Auggy.

2 comments:

  1. This really is both equally a very good information when i rather definitely preferred verifying. This may not be at all times i always get likely to see a challenge. best mineral sunscreen lip balm

    ReplyDelete
  2. FuboTV Connect is the gateway that links your FuboTV account to various streaming devices. This integration allows you to enjoy FuboTV's vast content library on your preferred devices, ranging from smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, streaming players, and gaming consoles. By activating the fubo.tv/connect service, users can elevate their streaming experience and enjoy their favorite shows, sports events, news, and more, anytime and anywhere.

    ReplyDelete